Monday, April 26, 2010

Eating Out with Allergies

We've been eating out a lot this past week due to having a house guest. We went out of town over the weekend, to a small place that my parents' have a second home in. Driving down there on Friday we stopped at a locally owned diner, Horne's, for lunch. I was faced with my very first time having to make sure the waitress understood how important it was that Luke's food not contain any kind of nuts. I'll admit, I was nervous. I'm not the most outspoken person, but Luke's safety depends on me becoming that person. When we placed our order, I told the waitress that Luke has a peanut/tree nut allergy, and that it was very important that his food not come in contact with any. She looked at me like I had 2 heads, and said "tree what?". UGH. Not a very comforting reaction! Once I explained what tree nuts were though, she understood, and everything went well.

Saturday we had lunch at another local eatery, Newsomes Restaurant I started out asking if they cooked in peanut oil, the answer was no. I then informed the lady taking our order of his allergies, and she turned around and told the cook, so I was comfortable.

Sunday night we were back home, and went to dinner at a local steakhouse, All American Steakhouse. Again, I informed the waitress of his allergy. When she came back to the table, she told me that they didn't use peanut oil, and the only peanut products in the restaurant were for one desert item, and it's prepared away from the main courses. I pointed out tree nuts again, because I knew of at least one salad that came with candied pecans. She said they were pre-packaged and wouldn't come near his food. So again, I felt comfortable.

Eating out is definitely an adventure these days. But having three good experiences this weekend has given me confidence that speaking with the staff, and getting a positive feeling after speaking with the staff, will ensure a positive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment