Friday, May 14, 2010

Best Part of the Day

I've started asking my four year old, Cody, what the best part of his day was when I tuck him in. Wednesday night his answer was, "leaving the house". It's been one of those weeks where we didn't do much. Both boys and I were getting over colds, so play dates were out. The weather wasn't great most of the week, so getting out wasn't really enjoyable anyway. Before today, our two big trips out were to Target and Safeway, whoohoo! Today my parents dropped their dogs off as they're heading out of town for the weekend. They asked Cody to take care of them while they were gone, and Cody took it very seriously. While I was changing Luke, Cody managed to get into the dog food cabinet, and filled up a couple of bowls for our four-legged house guests. I had to explain to him that it wasn't the food they were supposed to eat, and that it was too late for their breakfast, and too late for their dinner. He was heartbroken. I promised to let him feed them dinner tonight.

We got out of the house and walked the mall - Cody got to check out a few new rides and play with some kids, and Luke managed to shoplift half a pair of Crocs {luckily I noticed before we got to the car and was able to return it}. Once home, Cody mentioned several times that he wanted to feed the dogs "all by myself".

He couldn't quite do it alone, but he finally got to feed them about 20 minutes before bedtime. While I was tucking him in, I asked him what his favorite part of the day was. I expected getting to see nana and papa. Or the new rides, or meeting new friends. Or even finding out that we were unknowingly accomplices in Luke's Crocs theft ring. But his answer was, getting to take care of the dogs. I love that little dude.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that is so sweet! I love them at that age-- they are just so full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! It's so important to remember the everyday moments with the kids and not just the birthdays and big deals.

    Thanks for entering the All You Grocery Challenge on my blog. I can't wait to see how everyone does balancing healthy menus on a budget!

    ReplyDelete