Thursday, July 15, 2010

Endoscopy

Yesterday was Luke's endoscopy. It went fairly well. The hardest part for me was holding him while they put the gas mask on his face. My job was to hold his arms to keep him from grabbing the mask - and sitting there trying to cradle him, but man-handle him at the same time, was hard. Feeling him fight and slowly go limp, was hard. The doctors in the room kept telling me that I was doing great, and counted down how much longer it would take until he was completely out. He fell asleep holding onto one of my fingers. I cried when we left the room, it's just not something that you want to see your baby having to go through.

The procedure itself took just a couple of minutes. When the doctor came to get us he said about 80% of the 20 minutes that he was in there was spent trying to get blood from him for the IgE test for egg and sesame. Once again, little man has been cursed with my tiny veins! They ended up having to get it from his neck. I'm glad I didn't have to see that, I would have probably passed out!

He was one angry little man when we got to see him - screaming, throwing a fit. I sat in a chair holding him, and I almost had to ask my husband to take over because Luke was so darn strong - I was afraid I'd drop him. They finally let us go, and by the time we got to the car he was in a better mood. Loopy, but at least not screaming.

It'll be a couple of weeks before we get the results, but the doctor said that to the naked eye there wasn't any inflammation, which is good news. Hopefully the biopsy will show the same thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment