Monday, July 12, 2010

Give Him a Break!

Last Thursday was Luke's appointment with this amazing orthopedist, Dr. Tuten with Tuckahoe Orthopaedics. It was quite a day! The appt was for 1:20, so we left around 11am as it's a 1.5 hour drive. Leaving our house, Luke tripped on the concrete steps outside and landed smack dab on the top of his head. Luckily the boy has a hard head, because other than a few tears, everything was fine. The traffic however wasn't so fine. My most favorite road in Northern Virginia, I-95, was bumper to bumper for about the first 40 miles of our trip. I *heart* living in Northern Virginia (not).

Once we got past the traffic, everything was peachy except the GPS kept wanting me to get off at random exits. I finally bailed off of 95 because I realized I was dangerously close to downtown Richmond. I'm definitely not a city driver, so that would have been bad. We ended up on the outskirts of the city, so we still got a bit of a tour. Drove through Monument Avenue, which is home to, well, some monuments. Jefferson Davis, Stonewall Jackson and Arthur Ashe to name a few. I was the nerd snapping pictures of the monuments with my camera phone.

We finally made it to the doctor's office right on time, but as with most doctor offices, they were running behind. Finally got in to see the doctor around 2pm. Good news? Luke's thumb looks GREAT. Doctor said he isn't worried about it at all (last September there was talk that he may be missing a tendon, and that would have required surgery, so this was excellent news). Bad news? I wasn't imagining things with Luke's toes. Dr. T. said that he has residual effects from the positional clubfeet that he was born with. So Luke gets to wear snazzy orthopedic shoes until early November. The best part is that they look like you have them on the wrong feet, so I imagine it'll be 4 months of good intentioned people saying, "did you know his shoes were on the wrong feet?". I'll just smile =)

From there we were sent to the ortho shoe people, where we got to sit around as we didn't have an appointment. At some point Cody peed his pants, and made sure to announce it to the shoe guy as soon as he came in, and then Luke pooped, which I'm sure the shoe guy loved getting whiffs of as he fitted the shoes on him.

The trip home was full of adventure too - the GPS got us lost, again, and wanted me to drive on US 1 for 60 miles (I don't think so!), but I managed to find the highway instead. 95 north was at a deadstop due to an accident on the southbound side (seriously people, it's an accident - we've all seen them - quit staring and get to driving!). About 30 miles from home Luke and Cody started flipping out, so we stopped at McDonalds for milk (Luke), nuggets (Cody) and potty break (Cody and mom while Luke squealed like a banshee in fear of the bathroom).

All in all, it was a good trip. But I just wish little Lukester would catch a break. Hasn't he had enough to deal with in his sweet 19 (ack, almost 20!) months of life?

1 comment:

  1. Hi I just wanted to let you know that I've been following your blog and think its great! So great that I'm passing the Versatile Blogger award to you and mentioned you on my blog http://nonutsformypeanut.blogspot.com/. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete