Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Luke's Shoes

I came across this nifty blog, stark.raving.mad.mommy. and I'm in love. She's HILARIOUS. But reading through her About Us section, a blurb about her 6 year old daughter caught my eye. She has metatarsus adductus also (Luke's initial diagnosis), and wears shoes on the opposite feet. Here's what she said about it...

PBK tends to fall down more than other kids, because her feet curve in a bit (metatarsus adductus) and her shin bones are a little, um, twisted (tibial torsion). She used to get a lot of Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy. And we had to put her shoes on the opposite feet to help correct the curving, which made people think I was a moron. I can't tell you how many random strangers would insipidly ask, "Do you know her shoes are on the wrong feet, Mommy?" Which totally pissed The Peanut Butter Kid off. "They're not on the wrong feet," she would clarify, rolling her big brown eyes. "They're on the opposite feet." Stupid grown-ups.


I can definitely relate. While the comments don't bother me, it's still humorous. Yesterday my husband and I were joking that I should start wearing my shoes on the opposite feet to really throw people off. Or perhaps I should have a prize ready for the 50th person that asks about it.

But the best part is finding someone that has experienced what we're experiencing, and that has a sense of humor about it.




2 comments:

  1. Crap. I just realized that, to you, I fall into the same category as the people who CONSTANTLY ask me in the grocery store if I know that Megan only has one shoe on, or that she's lost her shoe? I'm sorry - I didn't mean to ask about what you obviously already knew. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's not a big deal! We have a sense of humor about it - it's definitely not something that we take seriously or personally. I was just excited to find someone else that can relate :)

    ReplyDelete