Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pneumonia Round Four

My poor little dude


Friday Luke woke up with a cough.

Saturday we were out of town, and the whites of his eyes started looking a little red.

Sunday morning he refuse to eat or drink anything, and his eyes were even more red. Cough was worse.

Sunday afternoon I called his pediatrician because he also had a fever. She had me alternate Motrin and Tylenol, and said we'd have to take him to the ER if his fever didn't go down with medication. It did, so we stayed home.

Monday we had an appointment with her at 11:30. His temperature was fluctuating between 101 and 102 at that point. The whites of his eyes were so red that you couldn't hardly see any of the actual white. His chest was rattly, he was still refusing to eat or drink anything other than Pedialite. She sent us for chest xrays and gave me an order for blood work.

After naptime my husband met us at the imaging place to watch Cody while I took Luke in. Xrays were done, but it was too late to get the results back from the doctor's office.

Tuesday morning I made plans with my BFF to head to a local hospital to have Luke's blood drawn -the doctor wanted to check for a possible mold or pet allergy, as well as his immune system. Before we could leave though, the doctor's office called - xray results were in, pneumonia had progressed to fluid on his lungs, and she wanted me to take him to INOVA Fairfax ER, because they have a good pediatric pulmonary department. A quick stop to pick up xray films from AAR, and we were heading north.

My BFF is a nurse in the adult ER at Fairfax, and she came with us. Huge relief for me! Husband stayed home to watch Cody. They got blood from Luke (while he was yelling ALL DONE the entire time), and the results showed normal white blood, but slight anemia. BFF says it's probably from him not eating over the last couple of days.

They wouldn't do the allergy testing - they were convinced it was the skin prick test, no matter how much I explained that RAST was a blood test they wouldn't listen. Doctor is hoping that they took enough blood for the lab to check the RAST anyway. He was given antibiotics through an IV, and a breathing treatment. They were going to keep us, but sent us home since I am able to give his treatments here.

So now we're waiting for a Sept 14th appointment with a pediatric pulmonologist. Cystic Fibrosis was mentioned a few times in the ER, which of course has made me very uneasy. I am hoping and praying that he tests negative for it. Doctor says that it's the worst case scenario, but that they have to rule it out.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, poor Luke! I do hope he feels better.

    As for CF, I really doubt that is the case. That is usually detected at birth (or sometimes in utero) and you probably had a test to see if you were a CF carrier when you were pregnant with Cody. If you were a carrier, then they would have had to test your husband and the *only* way your kids could develop it is if both of you tested positive (and even if you both were positive, that still doesn't mean your kids would develop it).

    ReplyDelete