Friday, October 22, 2010

Safety Insistence

I've noticed something the last few weeks that is really starting to bug me. I've had several episodes where someone will insist that a food is safe for Luke, even when I have told them that it is not.

I have an acquaintance that has done this for awhile. I'll tell them that Luke can't have a certain food item, and they'll argue with me, saying that it's safe and/or insinuating that I'm just being overprotective. The insistence is almost to the point of them being desperate to belittle me and show that I am wrong, which really baffles me.

The other day I took the boys for haircuts, and the employee wanted to give Luke a lollipop. I said no thank you, he has food allergies, I brought my own. I then had to listen to a several minute explanation of how all her moms of celiac kids can give their kids the lollipop, so it must be safe. Ok, #1 - who mentioned celiac? I know I didn't - and it's completely different from his allergies. And #2, I'm the mom, and a paying customer - if I say no, don't argue with me!

Seriously - if a mom of a kid with food allergies says no to a food item, don't argue with them. We know what's best, even if it doesn't make sense to someone else. And please don't compare one allergy or intolerance to another. Even if a food is ok for one allergy, it may not be for another. Food allergy parents are just trying to do the best they can to protect their children - let us do our job.

And honestly, even if a parent is being over protective...who cares? How is that hurting you? Does it really hurt an individual to have a lollipop turned down for one that was brought from home? Or for a friend to not give their child some form of junk food that they don't feel is safe?

1 comment:

  1. OMG. You didn't get the memo that everyone else knows better than the parents, did you? :)

    I'm sorry that happened, hon. Give Mr Luke a big hug - can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete