Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sunbutter and Banana Sandwich

Today I did something that I hadn't been able to bring myself to do for quite awhile.

Six months to be exact.

I made a slightly different version of the sandwich that caused Luke's first anaphylactic reaction, and had it for breakfast.

The morning of his reaction, he took two bites of Cody's peanut butter and banana sandwich. A sandwich that I have loved since I was a little kid. Something that had been a staple in my life, and then Cody's. I've never been a traditional breakfast kind of person- eggs often don't appeal to me, cereal leaves me still feeling hungry. But a PB&Banana sandwich always hit the spot.

A few weeks after his reaction I bought our first jar of sunbutter at Trader Joe's. Cody was reluctant to try it, but after awhile he decided it was to his liking. I was slower - eating a food that resembles something that caused such a scary reaction for my baby just really turned me off.

This morning though I decided it was time to try it.

So I started with this...


And ended up with this....



And it was good.  

Not as good as crunch peanut butter, but good in it's own way.  And it feels good to have gotten past that uneasy feeling. 




2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make that too! PB & banana is a favorite of mine. Sunbutter will have to do:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psst... sunbutter makes a crunchy version that's pretty good. I think I found our last jar at Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete