Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nut and Egg Free Mickey Mouse Birthday Party

We did it, we made it through celebration #2 - Luke's 2nd birthday party! Everyone had a great time, and I'd really like to share the details of the party, from the decorations to the nut and egg free food.

Luke LOVES Mickey Mouse - give him a book with the Clubhouse friends on it, and he'll be entertained for quite awhile. He loves to point at the different characters, and ask me "who's that?". So going with a Mickey Mouse theme was an easy decision (although many times I was tempted to change after finding one cute idea after another for different themes!).


Invitations

As I posted about awhile back, I found a template for making Mickey Mouse shaped invitations at My Party File. I used red and black cardstock to make the invitations, and printed the wording from a Word document.





Decorations

I took a lot of ideas from various blogs and webpages to come up with the decorations for Luke's party.

I made a banner showing a picture of Luke from each month over the last year. I found the idea at Annie's Eats. She had a Dr. Seuss party for her son's 2nd birthday, and yes, it was one of the "maybe I should go with this theme!" pages for me =) Only problem is, when I made the banner, I did everything backwards. Oh well, it was still cute!


I made another banner from the Playhouse Disney Celebration Center with Luke's name.



Food

I just realized that I didn't take any pictures of the buffet, ergh!  Oh well, just imagine how yummy it was =)

On the menu were hot ham and cheese sliders, the recipe came from Annie's Eats. Super YUM-O! I used Martin's Potato Bread slider buns, and they were nut/egg free. Omitted the mayo from the recipe to make it safe.

We also had Sausage and Cheese Balls using safe ingredients, Hebrew National mini pigs in a blanket (found in the frozen section in a big party size box, kids love them!), chips, Trader Joe's Pretzel Slims and a veggie platter.

Cupcakes, Ice Cream Pie {and more decorations}

I made Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, another Annie's Eats recipe. I substituted the 2 eggs that the recipe called for with 2 servings of Ener-G Egg Replacer. I have to say that I was very pleased with how well they turned out. I've never made the recipe using regular eggs, but I can't imagine they could be any better. For the frosting I made an additional 50% more frosting (as she recommends), and I was still slightly short - I must like to pile the frosting on! I reduced the powdered sugar a little - in our trial run two weeks ago, Cody said it was too sweet (and I agreed). Reducing it some made it perfect.

Normally we get an ice cream cake for birthday parties, to go along with the regular cake.  I looked everywhere for something that didn't have a nut allergy warning on it.  I've been told that Friendly's Ice Cream Cakes are safe, but the closest Friendly's shop is a good 45 minute drive, and I just wasn't going for that.  I thought about making my own, but I had enough to take care of.  That's when I got the idea of looking to see what Trader Joe's had in their frozen section.  I trust Trader Joe's labeling, and his allergist agrees with that.  I lucked out and found a frozen Mud Pie without any nut/egg allergy warning on it!  It was deeeeelicious!

The cupcake toppers came from Shay Bock's Mickey Mouse Party. She offers free Mickey Mouse birthday printables that can be customized. I don't have the right programs on my computer, so I printed out what I could, and made my own customized ones (the Luke toppers). I was happy with how they turned out.


Luke checking out his cake

Going by this picture, I think Luke enjoyed his party!




1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a lucky boy! This party was amazing...the amount of planning and detail that you put into it is incredible. The invitations, the menu, the banner, I love it all!

    ReplyDelete