Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Preparing for a Party, Allergy Style!

The planning has begun!

Luke's party is about 1.5 weeks away - I can't believe he's almost TWO! We're going with a Mickey Mouse theme, because he's Luke's current favorite. There are so many cute ideas out there for little boy parties, I spent hours looking at them. I just need to have a few more little boys so I can use more of the themes!

The perpetual procrastinator that I am, I waited until the last minute to make his invitations, but I was happy with how they turned out. I found the template for them here. Instead of using the fill in the blank template for the wording, I created my own in Word.

I also found lots of great printables at the Playhouse Disney website, and a cute idea for a picture banner elsewhere, but I'll post pics of those after the party =)

Food is my biggest concern right now. My plan is to make a cupcake tower with Red Velvet Cupcakes. I'll also make the cream cheese frosting in the same recipe. Two problems: the recipe calls for egg, so I'll be using Ener-G Egg Replacer, and it also calls for cake flour. I've only found two brands of cake flour, and both have may contain egg warnings. Blah! So I'll be using All Purpose flour. I'm doing a practice run this week, and I'm hoping they turn out well. If not, I'll fall back on the Chocolate Cupcakes from my The Divvies Bakery Cookbook: No Nuts. No Eggs. No Dairy. Just Delicious!.

I'm thinking somewhat simple for the buffet - my goal is that there won't be anything at the party that Luke can't eat. We're trying out this Ham and Cheese Slider recipe tonight, minus the mayo. I'm also planning on picking up some safe foods from Trader Joe's, such as their mini cheese pizzas. Sides will be simple - veggie plate, fruit kabobs and chips. Simple will make it easy for me to have yummy food, while not have to worry too much about making sure everything is safe.

The one thing that will be missed is an ice cream cake. It's been a birthday tradition since Cody's first birthday, but there just aren't any safe ones in our area. I toyed with the idea of making my own, and I may go that route after all, but for now, it's not in the plans.


1 comment:

  1. How about icecream cupcakes? You could put scoops of ice cream in cupcake wrappers, freeze them HARD and then put a candle in Luke's! :) Plus, then you could use Mickey Mouse cupcake cups.

    ReplyDelete