Monday, December 20, 2010

Silhouette Stocking Holders

A couple months ago I decided that I wanted to try and make a silhouette of my boys. Cody was easy, as he's old enough to follow directions. Luke, not so much. Thankfully my husband eventually got home and helped me out - but instead of going for the serious look, Luke thought standing at the wall staring at dad was hilarious, so his profile is one of him laughing =)



I turned the pictures into black and white on my computer, and then darkened them more to make the details easier to see. I printed the pictures, and placed them on black cardstock, then used an xacto knife to trace around the outline.

Once that was done, I spread Matte Mod Podge on a standard size white tile (can be purchased at Lowe's for anywhere for around $.20 per tile), and placed the silhouettes on top. Covered them with another thin layer of Mod Podge, and allowed it to dry, keeping an eye out for any bubbling in the paper.

From there I used my hot glue gun to glue the tiles to photo stocking holders that I found at Joann for $7 each (70% off sale, they were moving Christmas stuff for Valentines, a week before Christmas!).

Once they dried, I had this!




Luke's came out a little crooked, and him laughing makes it look like he's getting ready to eat someone, so I'll probably re-do his next year when he's old enough to understand the stand against the wall for a mug shot thing =)


Making

3 comments:

  1. That's adorable! I'll have to stash this idea for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I am adding this to my Christmas idea notebook. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too cute! Luke's is adorable! This will be great for them to look back at each year to see how much they have grown! How cute. Great job woman!

    ReplyDelete