Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ahoy Matey - Rawr!

I got this sweet little thing for Christmas...

Brother CS6000I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 60-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine

And I'm in love with it. My days of cussing at the sewing machine are over! At least for now =) I finally got it set up earlier this week, and I've been having a grand time using it. Monday I hemmed the two curtains from Pottery Barn Kids that I got for Luke's room (although I was a nervous wreck, afraid I'd mess them up). Tuesday I decided to use some of the scraps from the curtains to embellish a shirt for Luke. I turned a square from the curtain into this...


I ironed the square onto some Heat n' Bond, then pinned a dinosaur template that I found online (I'll add the link as soon as I can find it!), to that and cut it out. Ironed the dinosaur onto a tshirt. Then I used Word to print out "rawr" in a nice thick font. Cut that out with my trusty xacto knife, and in turn used that to cut "rawr" into some freezer paper (great tutorial at I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar). Ironed that onto the shirt, and used orange fabric paint to color it in. I later added a few x's underneath with embroidery thread.

Cody was feeling a bit left out, so I decided to decorate a winter hat for him. I had picked one up after finding this tutorial at Just Another Day in Paradise. Cody decided he wanted a skull and crossbones, and I just happened to have a tag with said design that I salvaged from an old tshirt. The stripes are scraps from a couple of tshirts. I used a zig-zag stitch to make it a bit messy looking and a bit funky.



He seems pretty happy with it =)


Linking to




3 comments:

  1. Love it! You need to link up with me too! ;)

    Great job! Oh and I know it's wrong but...
    I'm so jealous of your machine!! I would love one like that!! Oh, the possibilities! I hope you have lots of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Melinda - excited to have ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you linked up~! I do it every week. Still not a lot of people joining in though. :(

    ReplyDelete