Sunday, February 6, 2011

Trash Truck Birthday

{many thanks to my wonderful friend Caitie for this picture, I love it!}


Yesterday we had a full house to celebrate Cody's 5th birthday.

Trash Truck invites, from BabadooDesigns 


Trash Truck Cake


I used this Egg-Free, Dairy-Free and Nut-Free Cake recipe. We don't normally need to avoid dairy, but one of Cody's friends has a dairy allergy. I liked that the recipe didn't call for any unusual ingredients, just items that were already in my pantry. I also used this Best White Icing Ever Recipe. It was another dairy free recipe that didn't call for anything unusual. Both recipes were yummy, and I recommend both!

I made the houses on the cake using this Sugar Cookie recipe from Annie's Eats. I attempted to make Vegan Royal Icing. I had issues with the consistency, and wasn't able to "flood" the cookie, so I just went with the outlining and called it a day =)  I am looking forward to giving this icing another try someday though, and hopefully getting the consistency right.

For food, we ordered from Papa John's to make it easy. I also had Hebrew National Mini Hot Dogs (dairy, nut and egg free), and I made a couple of appetizer recipes. Italian Sub Dip, which I served with various crackers and Zesty Sausage Cheese Balls. Neither were dairy free, but both were egg and nut free, and were definitely for the adults and not the kids!

I made goody bags...


And filled them with Crayola crayons (bought at Target last August for $.25 each!), Trash Truck Coloring Page, Matchbox cars Trash Truck, a bag of Lucy's Grab and Go Chocolate Chip packs (allergy free) and a Yummy Earth Organic/allergy free sucker.

It was the first birthday party we've had with more than just 1 or 2 kid guests, and I was a little worried about keeping them entertained. Never fear - they made sure they were well entertained!

It was definitely a successful party!

Luke loved the balloons...


Cody loved the cake...


And the presents too!



Thank you to everyone that made his day so much fun!



7 comments:

  1. HUGS! We had so much fun at Cody's party (my son the huge second-half grump notwithstanding) - and Megan has commandeered BOTH sets of goodybag crayons as her own (and says "ank oo"). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like he had a great time! I love that cake!! I can't believe he is 5 already! It goes so very fast!! Great job woman!

    Giving you a little shout out in my Monday post.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks Nicole!!

    Caitie, we loved having you and Ian. And miss Megan is very welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw... I remember those days. You are an awesome Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cake. I love it. It was great the you could make it safe for all the kids at the party.
    Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the delay in answering you but- we had such an amazing time. Thank you for the party and the company of some other adults, you have a wonderful family and I was happy to be included. :) And especially thanks for the dairy free cake, Hunter talked non stop for over a week about how Cody and Lukes momma loves him and made sure he could have cake not have to bring special Hunter Cake. :-)

    ReplyDelete