Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dealing with Others {speech delay}

The other day my boys and I went to the playground to burn off some energy. At one point, a lady was nice enough to help Luke down from the playground equipment before I could get to him. I thanked her, and she asked me how old he was. I told her, and asked how old her daughter was (about a year younger than Luke). Then Luke started getting excited, pointing at her daughter. I think it was because she was crossing the bridge that scares him. He did his usual squealing and pointing. The mom stared at him. And stared, and stared. I just said, yes Luke, it's a little girl. Can you say hi? The mom never said anything else to me, but walked around to the other side of the playground, and continued to stare at him. It really upset me, and I really wanted to yell at her that staring isn't nice, and there's nothing wrong with him. Then a small part of me wanted to drop kick her.

Today we went to Toys R Us, and of course Luke was one excited little boy. TOYS! EVERYWHERE! SQUEEEEEEEEE! =) Luke did his usual very loud sounds, and an employee stopped to talk to us. Then he said, "he sounds like an alarm going off". Gee, thanks. And you look like a dork, but I'm not going to be rude and say that out loud. Sheesh.

It's getting harder to tell people how old he is. People are usually shocked, between his size and speech ability, to hear that he's 2 and a half. I'm seriously considering lying about his age, so I don't have to deal with the "oh wow"s. Or maybe I need to work on what to say to someone that's as rude as the lady at the park was. Or work on my drop kicking skills (my personal favorite).

I just don't get it. When Cody was little, he was way ahead of most milestones. But I would have never reacted the way that I've experienced people reacting to Luke. All kids are different. And that doesn't make one child better than the other. And it certainly doesn't warrant rude stares or idiotic comments.

2 comments:

  1. Forget those crazy people. Your son is just fine, he is only 2 1/2 for goodness sake. What are people expecting a road scholar... Just ignore them (easier said than done). BIG HUGS.
    Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, mama. Luke is sweet and smart and lovable. He's an amazing little boy, and anyone who can't see that is a huge douchcanoe who deserves to be dropkicked across a playground.

    ReplyDelete