Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Height and Weight Check

Today was a scheduled height and weight check for Luke.

We went through this with Cody. Around the time Cody turned 9 months he dropped from 50% for height and weight down to around 10-15%. He stayed there for awhile, then finally caught back up around 24 months. Well, he's still on the smaller side, but his clothing size matches his age, so I'm happy with it.

Luke has been around 5% for both height and weight for awhile now. Almost since the beginning. But he followed his own curve, so the doctor wasn't too worried, as long as he stayed on that curve.

Going into the appointment I was prepared for trouble. I knew Luke hadn't gained or grown much, if any. 12&18 month pants still fall off of him.  "Luke, let me fix your pants" is heard about 20 times a day in our house.  I have a box full of 24 month summer clothes that won't be worn anytime soon. Today I went digging for his 18 month stuff that had been put in storage last year.

He's fallen off of the curve, he's down to around 1% for both. He lost a pound since December, and has only grown 1" since May 2010. Granted, I'm not 100% confident in their measurements. The nurses don't spend a whole lot of time trying to get an accurate measurement. For example today he was a half inch shorter than he was in November. But, whatever. Close enough I guess. 

His file now says "Failure To Thrive". Stab me in the heart why don't you.


We also went over Luke's speech therapy progress. She was very concerned when I told her that he has words that he once said, but won't say anymore. 


Excerpt from his baby book...

12m - baba (bottle), mama, dada, hi - I don't remember him saying hi, but he must have since I wrote it down.  Haven't heard it anytime recently, that's for sure.
15m - outside, what's that, tasha - He occasionally says what's that, not super clear, but clear enough for me to tell.  Tasha and outside don't happen.
2 years - uh oh, I did it, touch down, down, all done, mine, roar, dada, mama, baba, oh wow - Uh oh happens sometimes, I did it occasionally, but not nearly as often or as clear as he did back in November.  Touchdown, all done we never hear, and he won't repeat when we ask him to.  Down he doesn't say, but makes a "da" sound.  He roars when we ask him what a lion says, oh wow occasionally.
And those are just the ones I'd written down in the book.  It makes me sad to see that his "first word" line was never filled out, because beside mama and dada, I honestly don't know what it was.


She was also concerned when I told her that he only has a handful of words (mama, dada, oh, dee (Cody), yeah, more) that he says clearly and regularly.

She wants him to go through genetic testing due to the number of issues that he has had (positional clubfeet at birth, torticollis at birth, right thumb isn't used properly since birth, asthma, allergies, brief issue with immune deficiency, gross motor delay, fine motor delay, speech delay). I take him for blood work tomorrow, fairly basic type stuff. I need to find a developmental pediatrician. His doctor mentioned Autism (speech therapist feels he has no signs), Asperger's, diabetes. Not saying he has those, but just throwing them out (because I need more stress of course).

The developmental pediatrician isn't proving to be easy. After going through a couple of allergist duds, and an orthopedist dud, I'm wary of just randomly choosing a doctor. So I'm driving myself nuts trying to find recommendations. I just want to see the same doctor recommended more than once! Hasn't happened yet. Speech therapist said she can't help, she has only heard about the "bad" ones.

So I'm looking at the various Children's Hospitals in Virginia. Children's National which has a satellite office in Fairfax. Children's of UVA, Children's of Richmond, and Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters in the Norfolk area (which happens to be at war with my insurance company, awesome). My plan is to call each, and see who can get him in the quickest.

My son is SMART. He has an amazing personality. Spend five minutes with him and you can see that. I want to do everything that I possibly can to make things right for him. I want him to have the future, whether it's one year or 20 years into the future, that he was meant to have.

I know I'm all over the place here, and I apologize for that.  It's a pretty good example of how my mind is working right now.  Which do I worry about this minute?  His height/weight?  Speech?  Allergies?  Asthma?  Thumb?

I would give anything to hear my baby say hi to me. Or the ultimate, love you mommy. He expresses both non-verbally, but to hear it would just be the most amazing thing.


4 comments:

  1. Wow...I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. At least Luke will get a full checkup and hopefully it isn't anything serious...or anything at all. I'll be keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I can't imagine what you must be feeling. I wish I had some sage words of advice, but what I can do is send you lots of hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son was Failure to Thrive also. It is heartbreaking for a Mum to have happen to their baby. It turns out that my son's issues were 100% related to his MFA. Once all his allergies were identified & he started to trust food he started to gain weight very very slowly. It took a while but he is no longer Failure to Thrive. He still is on his own curve and is about 10 pounds or more skinnier than all his buddies. The pants with the internal belts are a godsent. Email me if you need to talk TheAllergyMum@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete