Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Recipe Roundup - Nut and Egg Free

If someone were to ask me if there was a positive behind becoming a food allergy mom, I would tell them that the one positive for me is finding a new joy of cooking. I've always enjoyed cooking, but it was never something that I put a ton of effort into. Now though, I do a lot of looking for recipes, mostly online. I make a lot of things that I never imagined I would make. I've found a love of mincing garlic (I find it relaxing!) and making bread. There's just something satisfying about making your own food, especially knowing without a doubt that it'll be safe for my food allergy kid to eat.

I thought that I would share some of the recipes that I have made over the last couple months, that have been enjoyed here. They are all either nut and egg free, or I was able to make changes to remove egg from the recipe.

As always, please make sure that the individual ingredients that you choose are free of the allergens and/or any cross contamination risk.

Pay attention to her notes. The first time I didn't, and ended up with a sticky mess. The notes mention adding extra flour to go from sticky dough to tacky dough.  Wonderful with a pasta dish.  Or for breakfast the next morning =)

Oh my, are these good. Not only are they delish, but they don't call for egg.  It's hard to find an egg free meatball recipe.  This is one of the few recipes that I can't wait for the leftovers the next day, and look forward to making again very soon. This is the recipe that made me swoon over P-Dub.

I've never eaten at a White Castle. Around here, the only White Castle you see are in the freezer section, tiny little frozen hamburgers, and I've never tried them. Having lived in Jacksonville, FL for a couple of years though, I love Krystal Burgers, which are the same general idea. Tiny little cheese burgers, with mustard, pickle and onions. There aren't any Krystal Burgers here in VA, but this definitely hit the spot.  Brought back good memories of hitting Krystal Burger after a night on Bourbon Street in New Orleans!

I don't think I've ever ordered a gyro. And I'm pretty sure that I say gyro wrong. But what drew me into this recipe was that it meant I could make homemade pita bread (recipe included in the note section).  Little round pieces of bread heaven.

I made this for Mardi Gras this year, and fell in love. Well, at least I did after the smoke cleared. Be prepared to open some windows and get the ceiling fans moving before you make this. But it's worth it. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Fat Tire® Braised Carnitas Tacos with Fat Tire® Chavelas O.M.G. First, I don't usually say OMG. Second, I don't normally get this excited about a meat dish. But this was amazing. I couldn't find Fat Tire Ale, so I went with good old Budweiser American Ale. It takes awhile to cook (though my oven time was only 2.5 hours, so less than stated in the recipe), but there's a good bit of downtime while it's cooking too. And it's so worth it. Had it with tortillas the first night, slider buns the next.

And to finish with something sweet...

The first couple times I made these I used Ener-G egg replacer, and they turned out great. The last time I made them though, I used applesauce in place of the egg. I don't know if I used too much or what, but the cookies spread a LOT and didn't get as crisp as the other batches. Still good, just a little too soft. So I'll definitely stick with the egg replacer from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment