Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Crafts and Speech Update


Thought I'd share a couple crafts that the boys and I did today =)

The Snowman Cookie activity page came from Ami at Walking by the Way. Cody had a good time giving all the snowpeople big ears. Luke used them to experiment with different marker colors, telling me the ones he could say. "Geen" is a favorite!

I got the idea for the handprint activity from Pinterest. Neither boy was too thrilled with sticking his hand in the paint, and Luke looked at me like I had lost my mind, but it was pretty quick and painless.

For speech, Luke continues to make slow but steady progress. His therapist has made comments to me that she hopes Ryan and I aren't disappointed that he's not progressing more quickly. I assured her that we are thrilled with his progress, and know that he's in good hands and is going in the right direction. Luke has mastered up. He's getting pretty good with me, but continues to grope some when saying it. Same thing with bye. Sometimes he can say either of those two words without any problem at all. Most of the time though, I have to work with him, using prompts, to get a better approximation. This week he learned ho ho ho, which was good timing, as he and Cody met with Santa on Thursday. Some other words that he has been working on are eat, on me, mop, pop, baa (as in sheep sound, to help improve bye).  

Luke can say hi perfectly now.  It melts my heart every.single.time that I hear it.  He'll walk up to me out of the blue and say hi mama, and it's the best thing ever.  Such a simple thing, but when you have a child diagnosed with something like Apraxia, you can't help but fear that you will never hear those sweet and simple phrases from them. 

Luke got an iPad for his birthday from his nana and papa, and I'm still working on picking out apps for it. It has the same kiddo ones that were on the iPod touch, and I added SpeechStickers (which we love so far), but I still want to pick out a main speech app that is specifically for Apraxia. I'm taking a little time to choose, because they're pricey and I don't want to regret my choice. Did you know there are apps that cost well over $100? I didn't until recently. Makes the $3.99 apps not sound so bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment