Thursday, August 23, 2012

2012-2013 First Grade Curriculum






 I am basing much of our curriculum on the book Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp.  I highly recommend this book.  If you're going to buy one book to go along with your homeschool, I would pick this one.  It lays out what should be taught and when, and lists many living book examples that can be used to teach the different concepts.

I also used Timberdoodle to help me pick most of the textbooks.  I love this company.  They offer a complete curriculum package for each level (including baby and toddler!).  I combined their suggestions with the ones in Home Learning Year by Year.

Phonics/Language Arts:

All About Reading 1
Explode the Code book 2
First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind

Lots of reading!


Math:

Singapore 1A/1B Standards
Daily Word Problems, Grade 1 Math

Handwriting:


Handwriting Without Tears, Grade 1, My Printing Book

History:

We will be studying early American History starting with the explorers, and going as far as we can.  My plan is to get to early westward exploration.  This will be done with living books, very relaxed and fun.  Hoping to fit in many field trips!  May also do some ancient history using Story of the World I, as suggested in Home Learning Year by Year.

I plan to have a separate post listing which books we used for each period of history.


Geography:

Daily Geography Practice, Grade 1
 

Misc:


Daily 6-Trait Writing, Grade 1

Five in a Row, Before Five in a Row - This covers many subjects such as science, art, language arts, math, geography and history.

Various printables and worksheets to add variety.

Field trips, field trips, field trips!  I hope to make good use of all the great field trip opportunities in our area this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment