Thursday, August 23, 2012

2012-2013 Preschool with Apraxia Curriculum

I am hesitant to start this post as I am still working out the details, but I wanted to start laying out my plans. We recently saw Luke's developmental pediatrician, and the biggest piece of advice he gave us was to not focus on Luke being able to write letters just yet. Instead to focus on improving his hand strength. Between that bit of advice, and knowing what I already know about his abilities, and what his SLP is concerned about, I have a list of things I'd like to work on with him.

1. Recognize upper and lower case letters (he already knows most, if not all)
2. Numbers
3. Colors/Shapes
4. Improve fine motor skills. I love this blog post from Mommy with Selective Memory. She has lots of great ideas for this. I'm also a big fan of Montessori activities. Pre-writing activities would fit in here.
5. Improve core strength. I recently bought the Amazing Peanut Ball from Timberdoodle for this.
6. Visual processing skills. His SLP recently brought this up with me as a possible problem for him, so it will also be a goal in his therapy sessions. I bought the four pack of Developing the Early Learner and I think the books will be helpful.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this Melinda! I don't know if you read my blog this week, but I decided to hold Jake out of preschool this year. He has true Ig-E allergies to peanut, almond, & fish and I've found out he also has intolerances to wheat and a couple of other things. Anyway, I just didn't feel comfortable enough sending him to preschool until I meet with the doctor next week and get on an official diet plan. I feel like holding him out of preschool is such an unpopular decision with the general public, but I am committed to working with him one-on-one until he starts Pre K-4 next year. Keep posting what's working for you! There's not many of us out there! :) I'd like to know how those Developing Early Learner books work out. I went to the site and they look great and not too expensive either, which is always a plus. Take care!

    ReplyDelete