Thursday, November 15, 2012

Birthday Boy's Egg (and dairy) Free Doughnuts

A few months ago Luke and I ran into Whole Foods before his speech therapy session started. I'm not a big Whole Foods shopper, but it's in walking distance from speech, so sometimes it's convenient. This particular day, we walked past their bakery section, and Luke announced to everyone within a quarter mile radius "I LOVE DOUGHNUTS!". This was a bit of a surprise to me, as little man has never had donuts. I'm not even sure how he knew what a doughnut was. And to be honest, I was pretty thrilled that he could say doughnut. 

We went on to speech, and as soon as his SLP came into the waiting room to get him, he once again announced I LOVE DOUGHNUTS! I decided then that I had to find a safe doughnut recipe for him. It took me awhile, but I finally found this mini vegan doughnut recipe from Vegan Yum Yum. We gave it a whirl and decided they were GOOD. 

Fast forward to the last couple weeks. Luke has been mentioning doughnuts again. A quick Whole Foods trip reminded him that he loved those little doughnuts. So I decided that being today is his fourth birthday, it would be a good day to break out the mini doughnut pan again. I did use regular milk (2%) and regular salted butter. But they worked very well as egg free. I used EnerG's egg re-placer. I recently learned that Wilton's labeling for their sprinkles has changed, and that possibly they weren't as good about labeling in the past, so I chucked all of our Wilton sprinkles. Which meant I had no sprinkles for the little doughnuts.  I made up for it by going with all chocolate instead. For the chocolate, I used some of our safe Halloween stash from Peanut Free Planet. I used Aero, broken in half and melted in the microwave in 30 second increments. It worked out really well! I stuck the plate of chocolate dipped doughnuts in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up process of the chocolate becoming less sticky. These are really good, but I personally think they're best a few hours after they're baked. 


No comments:

Post a Comment